Can you live permanently in a lodge all year round?

Can you live in the lodge permanently - lodges in winter

If you have been thinking about investing in a holiday lodge, one of the questions you may have is whether you can live in a holiday lodge all year round. Well, it depends on several factors.

While lodges are most commonly used for short breaks away from everyday life, they can also sometimes be used as primary residences. However, the process of turning a holiday lodge into a permanent residence can be complicated, which is why it’s not a very common choice.

It typically depends on the park where the lodge is located and the licenses required, so it is always recommended to check the individual policies before making an investment.

In this article, we’ll dive into the different types of park licenses, their limitations, and what you need to know about whether it is possible to make a holiday lodge your permanent residence.

Skip to:
How lodge ownership works
Recreational vs residential lodges
Limits on length of stay
Obtaining a year-round license
Insurance policies

How does lodge ownership work?

Once you buy a lodge, you immediately become the owner of the physical structure, but the land it is situated on still belongs to the park owner.

Lodges can differ in the utilities they provide. Some offer direct access to gas, water, and electricity providers, while others use a landlord-owned supply system.

There are different types of licensed sites where lodges can be situated. Site owners must obtain planning approval and a site license from local government authorities. The license will specify whether the site is for holiday purposes only or if it’s a full-service residential community, so it is crucial to check beforehand before making an investment.

Simple buying process


What is the difference between recreational and residential lodges?

A holiday lodge is the most common property for those who wish to own a second home. This is a type of property that is typically located in holiday parks or resorts and designed for holiday use only. In this instance, you will be granted a recreational license which allows you to remain in your lodge for short periods of time but does not grant you the right to use it as your permanent residence. Failing to adhere to these laws can result in serious consequences. The local council can prosecute the park owner for violating Site Licence Conditions or Planning Consent, and they can also issue an Enforcement Order for the resident to remove their lodge from the park.

When purchasing a holiday lodge with a recreational license, it’s important to understand the terms of your agreement. These agreements typically outline the length of time you’re allowed to occupy your lodge each year and any restrictions on its use. It’s also important to ensure that you comply with all regulations set by the park or resort where your lodge is located to avoid any legal issues.

Residential lodge homes, on the other hand, are designed for permanent living rather than holiday or recreational use. They are becoming an increasingly popular choice for those looking to downsize, retire, or simply enjoy a more relaxed way of life. These properties are legally protected under the Mobile Homes Act 1983, amended by the Mobile Homes Act 2013. A responsible park owner will also verify your primary address away from the park at regular intervals to ensure compliance with Site Licence Conditions.

Unlike holiday lodges, residential lodges require a different type of license which allows you to use the property as a permanent residence. These licenses often come with specific rules and regulations that must be followed, such as keeping the property well-maintained and ensuring that it complies with building codes and safety standards.


Is there a limit to how long I can stay in my lodge?

There is likely to be a limit on how long you can reside in your holiday lodge, despite the property being legally owned by you.

When you purchase a lodge, it’s important to understand the regulations set out by the park. Most parks have a set maximum number of days that a homeowner can stay in their holiday property each year. This limit is usually set by the local government and can vary depending on the location of the park. For example, some parks may have a limit of 60 days per year, while others may allow longer stays.

One of the great advantages of Oak View Lodge Park is that it is open all year round. This means that guests can enjoy their lodge and the surrounding area throughout the year, regardless of the season. Unlike other holiday parks that close down for several weeks during the winter season, Oak View Lodge Park ensures that guests can access their holiday home whenever they wish.

The extended season also means that lodge owners can avoid the hassle of packing up and leaving their holiday home at the end of each season and take advantage of seasonal activities and events on-site.

It’s also worth noting that some holiday parks have rules that prohibit owners from staying at their property for extended periods of time. If you’re planning on staying in your holiday home for longer than the allotted time, it’s best to check with the park staff to see if it’s possible to extend your stay or if there are any penalties or fees associated with doing so.

Lenght of staying in the lodge

How do I obtain a license to live in a holiday lodge all year round?

If you wish to obtain a license for your lodge, you must first check the planning permission of the park. As mentioned, Oak View Lodge Park is for holiday use only.

If the lodge already has permanent residential status, then you may not need to apply for any additional license. However, if it is designated for holiday purposes, then you will need to apply for a change of use planning permission from your local council.

The application process for obtaining the correct license for all-year-round residence can be quite complex, and the requirements can vary depending on the location and the specific regulations of the local council. It is recommended to seek the advice of a professional, such as a planning consultant or solicitor, to guide you through the process and ensure that your application is completed correctly.

You may need to provide supporting documentation, such as a site plan, floor plans, and elevations of the lodge, as well as proof that the lodge meets all necessary building regulations and safety standards. It is also important to be aware of any restrictions on the maximum number of days per year that you can occupy the lodge.


What are the insurance policies for living in a lodge full-time?

If you plan to live in a lodge full-time, it’s important to consider the insurance implications. Standard holiday home insurance policies typically only cover the property for occasional or seasonal use, and not for full-time residency.

This means that you may need to purchase a different type of insurance policy specifically designed for full-time residential use. These policies usually offer more comprehensive coverage than standard holiday home insurance, including coverage for personal liability, contents, and buildings insurance.

It’s also important to inform your insurance provider that you will be living in the holiday lodge full-time, as failure to do so could result in your insurance being invalid. It is also recommended that you regularly review your insurance policy and ensure that it still meets your needs, as your circumstances may change over time.

Living the lodge life: Do it your way

Living in a holiday lodge full-time can be a great lifestyle choice for those looking for a simpler and more relaxed way of life.

However, it’s important to ensure that you have the correct license to live in the lodge permanently, and that you have the necessary insurance in place to protect your property and belongings. It’s also important to keep in mind that each holiday park has its own set of rules and regulations regarding the maximum amount of time that can be spent on-site each year, so it’s best to check with the staff at your park for specific details.

Get in Touch